Monday 28 May 2012

You and I



(Image source: Pixabay.com)


You and I have a long association
Long before anybody knew me.


Blissfully you bore swollen feet,
Accompanied with nauseous mornings,
Cravings for appetizers at unearthly hours,
And bore kicks and somersaults which made you gasp for breath.


The first day you held me in your arms
After an anxious nine-month-long wait
You vowed to protect me with your life.


In crisp white uniform I took tentative baby footsteps,
Into the draconian human world;
On my first day at school,
I cried and howled and bellowed,
Refusing to let go of your protective shadow;
Conversely, your smiling patience encouraged me to endeavour.


At my achievements you clapped until cerise,
Smiled with serene humility at copious compliments by kith and kin alike;
On my mistakes you frowned and reprimanded;
You wiped my tears of grief
Vowing to purge the cause.


Joyous occasions brought excitement in my life
This thrilled you of all;
Trying times were easy to sail through
As you stalled my rage-filled actions
With kind words of wisdom.


As days led to months,
Months turned to years,
Woman of substance have I come to be.


Alas! Running into your open arms at the end of the day,
The supreme safe sanctuary on earth,
I miss so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment